Purchasing a new construction home is super exciting. And, that’s because no one has lived in it before. It’s all yours. However, if this is your first time purchasing a new construction home you may be entering new territory. Because, with new construction you make the decisions about the selections. That’s also super exciting because now you have the opportunity to customize to personalize your new home. After all, your new home is a reflection of your personal style and lifestyle. And, from the littlest details to the finishing touches you can make it stand out from the crowd.
But, first, let’s define a new construction home. For the purpose of this article, there are two types. A semi-custom home is the first type. When purchasing a semi-custom home buyers are able to choose both the lot and its location in the development. In many cases the builder owns the property. Buyers can choose a home from a multitude of available models and floor plans provided by the builder. And, there’s also a multitude of options to choose from making customizing easier than ever. The second type is a custom home. If you are building a custom home, as the home buyer, you have control of everything including the lot size and its location, the exterior and interior aesthetics, and the floor plan. And, as far as the options go, the sky’s the limit. Or, until your pocketbook runs out of money.
Where to begin
After you have signed the contract for your new home expect a call from the builder’s design center to make an appointment. When that happens, don’t panic. Instead, be prepared. Give yourself some leeway. Schedule the appointment a few weeks after the initial phone call. This way you’ll have time to collect an array of magazine articles and photos of what you like. Keep in mind it works both ways. So, do gather a collection of those things that you don’t like. This way the design team will start to get an idea of who you are. From the exterior to the interior you have the opportunity to customize to personalize your new home. But, if you’re still not sure of all the available options available to you, we put together a guide to help you out.
How to customize the exterior
Remember, the exterior of your home is just as important as the interior especially when it comes to resale value. Think about curb appeal and how your home fits into the neighborhood when making exterior selections. Below are those items that you can customize to personalize the exterior of your home.
- Elevation – In the construction industry elevation refers to a two-dimensional drawing of the exterior faces of the home. Builders use the drawings to show prospective home buyers the types of homes they plan to build. Most often builders feature several different exterior elevations of the same floor plan. The choice of the elevation is up to the home buyer. And, also, the perfect opportunity to distinguish your home from others in the neighborhood.
- Brick and stone color – You’ll also have to choose both the brick and stone color. The design center will have a large selection of both in a variety of colors and textures that will complement the other homes in the development and conform to the neighborhood.
- Exterior paint color – If your home does have areas where paint is required, you’ll have to choose the color. Make sure the color complements both your stone and brick colors.
- Exterior lighting fixtures – Typically, exterior lighting fixtures or carriage lights are limited to those that will frame your garage. Choose from a variety of styles available through the design center.
- Front door – Do you want a solid wood or a decorative door? Generally, a solid wood door is a standard item included in your contract. If you want to add a touch of personalization to the front entrance choose from a variety of styles including doors with glass, wood and iron, fiberglass, craftsman, arched tops and more. However, in many cases this is an upgrade. So, expect to pay more.
How to customize your interior
It’s a fact that there are many more interior choices than exterior choices when it comes to your new home. Below are those items that you’ll need to make selections for.
- Appliances – These days’ appliances come in a variety of styles and finishes. From the bold to the creative, appliances are making statements. So, don’t forget to make yours.
- Cabinets and countertops – Consider the look you are trying to achieve then go from there. You’ll have to select the color, style, finish, and type of material for both your cabinets and countertops for your bathrooms, kitchen, and laundry room. You’ll also need to choose your backsplashes in both the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Floor plan – Check with your builder on how you can customize your home’s floor plan to fit your lifestyle. Many semi-custom builders have built-in options in their floor plans that allow home buyers to include additional bedrooms or home offices. You can also eliminate these items if you don’t need them.
- Flooring – Hardwood flooring, tile, stone, carpeting, OH MY! There’s no doubt that the possibilities here are endless. Choose from pattered tile in a kitchen and bathrooms to plush carpeting in bedrooms to hardwood flooring in the entrance way and family room. Mixing a variety of flooring options to grace the halls of your home is one of the best ways to personalize it. Begin by knowing the type of flooring that you want in each room. Then, look at the choices. There’s hundreds of options. So, be patient, this may take a while. But, the result will be amazing.
More ways to customize your interior
- Grout – Another way to personalize the interior of your home is with grout. Choose colored grout or a contrasting color to make your tile floors and backsplashes stand out.
- Hardware – From sleek and modern to farmhouse style, hardware can set the style tone. Mixing the metals is ok. But, the design rule is not to mix more than three. You’ll need to choose hardware for your sinks, faucets and cabinet handles.
- Interior paint color – Your design center will have a palette of available colors. To personalize, paint accent walls to your heart’s desire after you move in. You’ll also have to choose the color and finishes of your woodwork and doors.
- Light fixtures – Varying light fixtures is a great way to include your personal style. And, again, there’s an enormous amount of choices. Lighting packages are usually included as a standard in your contract. If you want to steer away from the ordinary, choose one of their custom packages for an additional cost. It really can make all the difference.
Visit Travisso today
Travisso is a place to explore; a place to relax; a place to call home. We offer state-of-the-art floor plans from award-winning premier builders. Home buyers can choose homes ranging in size from 1,900 to over 5,000 square feet with prices starting in the 300s. And, there’s much more including resort style amenities and an outdoor landscape perfect for your active lifestyle. Visit Travisso in Leander today and explore our new model homes and neighborhoods.